For Lee

For Lee
For Lee, Strawberry pillow, applique cotton

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"Family Corset" and the Royal Tea




I just finished the spring semester of my welded metal sculpture course. I found it hard this semester to spend as much time as I usual do on my projects. We traveled a lot, had lots of wonderful company and the flu in spite of having the flu shots.


My last project was a sculpture called, “Family Corset”. The idea of this sculpture came about because my sister Susan invited me to the Ritz in Scottsdale to a tea and viewing of the Royal wedding.


Our Grandfather was English and immigrated to Canada where he met our Grandmother. As we grew up, we were always interested in the royal family. Susan said that I HAD to wear a hat, dress and heels. So I dug out one of my Grandmother’s hats, a sheath dress that I made from vintage fabric from the 50’s, my favorite heels, and even wore nylons, although it was 95 degrees in Phoenix. (She forgot to add gloves.)


It was a grand affair with valet parking, a beautiful setting, champagne, paparazzi taking photos with a Royal guard, and a lovely tea while we watched the wedding on huge screens.


Seeing everyone dressed up made me think of the many times my Grandmother, Mother and we prepared for an event. When I would complain about having to wear a dress, they would say, “If someone honors you with an invitation, than you should honor them by looking your best”. My Grandmother usually never left the house without her corset, gloves and hat.


It also made me think about how special it is to dress up and share time with the women in our family, and about how the opportunities of the women in my family have changed over the generations. Each generation has had more choices, and at the same time, I can see the same values are following and guiding them.


The sculpture is made from a frame of forged and welded iron ribs, vintage fabric, fiber and buttons, from four generations of my family. I have left it unfinished to represent the future generations.


It measures 8 X 14 X 17 inches.

Key to fabric: Silk velvet and braid , Great Great Nana Hitchcock; crochet lace and beads, Nana Elam; buttons, Nana Taylor Liberty print, my dress for Sarah's High School graduation; Silk print, dress from my honeymoon & Lace, Mother.

No comments: